But mainly I wanted to share what I’ve been working on project-wise. In a previous post, I talked about making the Louisville Triple Crown of Running website more user-friendly, so I’ve come up with a basic layout that solves the issues I was having.
One of the first bits of advice I got from mentors in the program was to put my ideas on paper before writing any code. My idea went through several iterations, but here’s the one I ended up with:
One of my goals in the near future is to learn how to work with wireframe tools, but pen and paper was excellent for now. Last week, I spent several hours on the basic HTML structure, then learning CSS flexbox layout to make the site look like I wanted it to.
This early version of the site I’ve created is most definitely not pretty, but it accomplishes my objective of having the essential race information up front, on one page, and making it obvious where other important information can be found. Here’s a screenshot of the mobile version:
And a screenshot of the desktop layout:
All those different colored lines are for my reference, and not part of the design. Just in case you’re wondering. I would love to have colors, photos, and nice fonts, and I’ll get there in the coming weeks. At this point, I just think it’s cool that I’ve created something that solves a problem. I’m pretty excited about doing more of that.
And here’s the code:
As always, if you want to see the code from either of these projects in its full glory, you’re welcome to look at my GitHub profile: https://github.com/amytalbott